NYC Streets

Trinity Church Farm

In 1705 and 1714, Queen Anne gave Trinity Church two adjacent grants of farmland in what were then the outskirts of New York City. The southerly part of the combined tract consisted of the land west of Broadway from Fulton to Reade Streets. The streets that were later opened through this part are perpendicular to Broadway.

The balance of the farm was a strip along the Hudson River from Duane Street north to Christopher Street. For much of this distance the tract extended inland to a marsh that barred access from the east. Thus, when the church started to lay out streets in this part of its farm, it made them perpendicular to the Hudson River rather than to Broadway. As a result, the approximate inland boundary of Queen Anne's grant is easy to see on modern maps.

The church's original holdings were much enlarged by landfill along the Hudson River. Over the centuries, Trinity sold or gave away much of its land, in part to create such institutions as King's College (now Columbia University) and New York Hospital. But it remains one of the city largest landowners.

Sources | Contact | © 2005-2006 by Gilbert Tauber