NYC Streets


A village on the Bloomingdale Road in the vicinity of the present West 125th Street. Its streets were laid out by the surveyor Adolphus Loss in 1806, five years before the adoption of the Commissioners' Plan. The principal street was Manhattan Street (1), which is now part of West 125th Street. Paralleling it on the northeast were Lawrence, Schieffelin and Byrd Streets. Paralleling it on the southwest, between Bloomingdale Road and the Hudson River, were Buckley and Hemlock Streets. Running southeast from Bloomingdale Road were Blackberry and Hamilton Streets. Perpendicular to Manhattan Street were (starting at the Hudson River) Cove and Effingham Streets, Bloomingdale Road, and Phineas and Edward Streets. In 1836 the Commissioners' Plan was amended to incorporate Manhattan and Lawrence Streets and part of the Bloomingdale Road. Although numerous structures had once stood along them, the remainder of Mahattanville's streets had vanished by the 1890s.

For a few decades in the 19th Century Manhattanville rivaled Harlem as the most important settlement in upper Manhattan. It was the site of Manhattan College as well as a large paint factory, and was served by both rail and stagecoach lines. See Eric Washington's Manhattanville: Old Heart of West Harlem (Arcadia, 2002).

Sources | Contact | © 2005-2006 by Gilbert Tauber