NYC Streets

Kips Bay Farm

This large farm extended from about the present Lexington Avenue to the East River between 26th and 40th Streets. It was subdivided and sold off beginning in 1805. There were four north-south streets roughly parallel to the Eastern Post Road. From west to east they were Elbert, Samuel, Eliza and Cornelius. Perpendicular to these were four east-west streets: Maria, Louisa, Kips Bay, and Susan. By the time the Commissioners' Plan was adopted in 1811, numerous lots had been sold and buildings erected. Randel, in a memoir of this period, refers to a "village of Kip's Bay." Parts of its streets remained in use into the 1850s, and their traces can still be seen in some skewed lot lines.

Sources | Contact | © 2005-2006 by Gilbert Tauber