NYC Streets

Glass House Farm

A farm that ran from Fitzroy Road to the Hudson River in what are now the West 30s. It was so called because of a glass-bottle factory established there in 1754. The factory lasted only a few years, but the Glass House Tavern on the same property was a popular roadhouse and stagecoach stop until the Revolutionary War.

About 1800 a small subdivision was laid out, and lots sold off, in the area roughly bounded by 32nd and 34th Streets between Ninth and Eleventh Avenues. There were three east-west streets named Rapilje, Jersey and Schroepel; and three shorter north-south streets named Moses, Maple and Tulip.

Sources | Contact | © 2005-2006 by Gilbert Tauber