NYC Streets

Delancey Farm Grid

On the modern map of Manhattan this is the grid of streets east of the Bowery from Division Street north to Houston Street. The bulk of this area was the 339-acre estate of the powerful Delancey family. They began the layout of streets in the southwestern part of their property in the 1760s. Their plan included a spacious square, called Delancey Square on the Ratzer map, bounded by the present Eldridge, Essex, Hester and Broome Streets.

During the American Revolution the Delanceys actively supported the Crown. Afterward, they were forced into exile and their land was confiscated by New York State. In subdividing the land for sale, the State's Commissioners of Forfeiture continued the grid established by the Delanceys but eliminated the grand square. By 1797 the grid was nearly complete, extending to North Street on the north and Cannon Street on the east.

The 1803 Mangin-Goerck Plan added a few more streets east of Cannon Street, including Mangin and Goerck Streets. The same plan also added three streets parallel to and north of North Street, called Romaine, Minthorne and Morris (2) Streets. These last three streets appear to have been officially recognized, if only briefly, before they were superseded by the 1811 Commissioners' Plan. See also Numbered Streets.

Sources | Contact | © 2005-2006 by Gilbert Tauber