"T" Streets of New York
Trinity Church Farm.
Taylor's Wharf (1). (L18-E19) Between DePeyster Street and Maiden Lane.
Taylor's Wharf (2). (n.d.) Between Maiden Lane and Fletcher Street.
Telegram Square. (E-M20) Prior to 1941, the part of Dey Street between Greenwich and West Streets. It was later demapped for the World Trade Center.
Temple Street or Lane. (L17-L20) Ran from Thames to Liberty Streets between Broadway and Trinity Place. Demapped from Liberty to Cedar Street in 1969. Now entirely closed.
Ten Broeck Street. (E19) In the Stuyvesant Farm Grid, the sixth street north of and parallel to Stuyvesant Street.
Ten Eyck's or Tennecks Wharf or Pier. (L18-E19) On the East River between Coenties Slip and Cuyler�s Alley.
Tenbrook's Dock. (L18) Between Chambers and Warren Streets.
Tenth Avenue . (part) In 1890, Tenth Avenue from 59th Street north to Fort George Avenue was renamed Amsterdam Avenue. Some maps, particularly in the early 20th Century, also applied the new name to the part of Tenth Avenue north of Dyckman Street.
Teunissen Place. (part) The part between the Harlem River and a point 184 feet south of Terrace View Avenue was closed in 1969.
Theobald's Slip. (L17-E18) Built circa 1695 on the south side of Wall Street at Pearl Street.
Third Street (1). (M18-E19) Prior to 1817, the name of Eldridge Street in the numbering system for the Delancey Farm Grid. See also Numbered Streets.
Third Street (2). (M18-E19) The former name of Wooster Street in the numbering system for the Bayard West Farm Grid. See also Numbered Streets.
Third Street (3). (M18) The westernmost of three streets laid out in a 1751 survey of Trinity Church property along the Hudson River. It was between the present Washington and West Streets. See also Numbered Streets.
Thirteenth Avenue. (M19-M20) In 1837 the Common Council approved the establishment of Thirteenth Avenue as the permanent exterior street along the Hudson River from Hammond Street (now West 11th Street) to West 135th Street. It also approved the westward extension of all of the intervening crosstown streets to meet the new avenue. Since nearly all of Thirteenth Avenue was underwater at the time, this ambitious scheme would have required massive amounts of landfill. Only parts of it were ever carried out. Beginning in the 1850s, the Greenwich Village shoreline was pushed out to Thirteenth Avenue between the present West 11th Street and 14th Street. Because of the peculiar street layout in the West Village, this was actually a distance of ten blocks. Part of the Chelsea shoreline was also extended out to Thirteenth Avenue. A generation later most of this landfill was removed to create longer piers (see Chelsea Improvements.) Thirteenth Avenue remained only between Bloomfield and Gansevoort Streets in the West Washington Market (2) and, north of the Chelsea Piers, from 22nd to 30th Streets. This northerly stretch became part of Twelfth Avenue in 1942. The part in the market area was closed about 1950.
Thomas Street (1). (M-L18) A former name of William Street between Frankfort and Pearl Streets.
Thomas Street (2). (L18) A former name of Duane Street between Elk Street and Rose Street.
Thomas Street (3). (n.d.) According to Post, a former name of Pearl Street between Broadway and Park Row.
Thomas Street (4). (n.d.) According to Post, a former name of Thames Street. Probably a copyist's error.
Thompson Avenue. See West Washington Market (2).
Thompson's Court. (n.d.) An alley that formerly ran from 363 Rivington Street.
Thurman's Slip. [E18] On the Hudson River between Cortlandt and Liberty Streets. Built prior to 1733.
Tiebout Street. (E19) Ran from the Bowery Road, at what is now the east edge of Union Square Park between 14th and 15th Streets, northeast to a point on the north side of 16th Street just west of Third Avenue.
Tienhoven Street (1) . (L17) Briefly, circa 1690, a name for the part of the present Pine Street between Pearl Street and Broadway. About 1691 it was absorbed by King Street, which was renamed Pine Street in 1694.
Tienhoven Street (2) (n. d.) According to Post, a former name of Liberty Street.
Timber Basin. (M19) On the Hudson River from 30th to 40th Streets.
Tin Pan Alley. (L19-E20) Originally a nickname for the block of West 28th Street between Fifth Avenue and Broadway, where many music publishers had their offices from the 1890s to the 1950s. By the time these publishers all migrated uptown, Tin Pan Alley had become a shorthand term for the popular music industry.
Tin Pot Alley. (L18?-M19) An anglicization of the Dutch name Tuyn Paat, meaning Garden Alley. It is now Exchange Alley and Edgar Street.
Tompkins Market. (E19-E20) On the east side of Third Avenue between East 6th and East 7th Streets. Opened in 1830 and closed about 1910.
Tompkins Place. (M-L19) East 10th Street between First Avenue and Avenue A.
Tompkins Street. (E19-M20) A street added to the Delancey Farm Grid in 1822. Although entirely under water at the time, it ran from Grand to Rivington Streets, one block east of Mangin Street. In 1826 it was extended, at least on paper, as the exterior street along the East River as far as 23rd Streets. As eventually built, it ran only from Grand to 4th Street plus two additional blocks between 14th and 16th Streets. Tompkins Street became part of the East River Drive, now Franklin D Roosevelt Drive, in 1937.
Torbert Street. (M19) A street formerly running from Henry to Madison Streets, between Catharine and Market Streets. It was earlier known as Moore's Row.
Tour Road . (M18-M19) See Lake Tour Road.
Townsend's Dock. (E19) On the Hudson River at what is now the foot of West 11th Street.
Townsend's Wharf (1). (L18) On the East River between Catherine Street and Oliver Street (1).
Townsend's Wharf or Pier (2). (E19) On the East River between Catherine and Market Streets.
Townsend's Wharf or Pier (3). (E19) On the East River between Market and Pike Streets.
Trinity Place. (curr.) In 1869 Trinity Place was absorbed by the southerly extension of Church Street (1), sometimes called New Church Street. The old name was restored about 1900.
Troy Street. (E-M19) Now West 12th Street from Greenwich Avenue to West Street The original Troy Street, circa 1827, ran only from the Hudson River to Greenwich Street, but by 1836 it had absorbed both Cornelia Street(1) and Scott Street. In 1846 Troy Street between Eighth Avenue and Greenwich Avenue was changed to Abingdon Place. Troy Street and Abingdon Place were changed to West 12th Street in 1859.
Tryon Row. (L18-E20) Ran from Centre Street to Park Row on ground now occupied by the south end of the Municipal Building.
Tulip Street. (E19) A street laid out on the Glass House Farm. It ran south from the present 34th to 32nd Streets between Tenth and Eleventh Avenues.
Turin Lane. Another name for Jauncey Lane.
Tuyn Paat. See Tin Pot Alley.
Tuyn, Tuijn or Tuyen Straet. (M-L17) Anglicized as Garden Street. Now Exchange Place between Broadway and William Street. Spelled Tuijn on the de Sille list.
Twelfth Avenue. (part) Twelfth Avenue has been demapped from 59th Street to St Clair Place (at West 129th Street). North of St. Clair Place it is the street running under the Riverside Drive viaduct and continuing as a service road to the North River Water Pollution Control Plant. See also Thirteenth Avenue.
Find Street Name