"R" Streets of New York
Rachel Lane. (M19-M20) Ran from Goerck to Mangin Streets between Grand and Broome Street. The site is now covered by the Corlears Hook Houses.
Ragpickers Row. (L19) Circa 1869, a part of East 4th Street between Avenue A and Avenue B.
Raisin or Raisan Street. (E19) Spelling variants of Reason Street, reflecting a common pronunciation of reason at that time.
Ramparts, The. (L17-E18?) Wall Street between Broadway and Pearl Street.
Randall Place. (M-L19) Part of East 9th Street between University Place and Broadway.
Randall Street. (E19) The second street north of Art Street in the projected extension of the Bayard West Farm Grid, shown on the 1803 Mangin-Goerck Plan.
Rapelje or Rapilje Street. (E19) A street laid out on the Glass House Farm. It ran from Moses Street, between Ninth and Tenth Avenues, to Tulip Street, between Tenth and Eleventh Avenues, at a slight angle to the line of the present 34th Street.
Reason Street. (E19) Prior to 1829, the name of the present Barrow Street between Bleecker and Bedford Streets.
Redds, Reed or Reid Street. Variants of Reade Street.
Rensselaer Street. (L18-E19) In the Stuyvesant Farm Grid, the fourth street south of and parallel to Stuyvesant Street.
Republican Alley. (E19-L20) Formerly ran west from Elm Street (now Elk Street) and then south to Reade Street. The name Manhattan Alley was often used for the Reade Street leg and sometimes for the Elm Street leg as well. It was closed about 1990 for the new Federal courthouse at 290 Broadway.
Reservoir Square. (M-L19) Renamed Bryant Park in 1884.
Reynolds Place. (L19) West 180th Street from Audubon to Amsterdam Avenues.
Rhinelander's Alley. (n.d.) Ran from Greenwich Street (1) to Washington Street (1) between Hubert and Beach Streets.
Rhinelander's Basin. (E-M19) West of Washington Street (1) between Park Place and Murray Street.
Rhinelanders Dock (1). (L18-E19) At the foot of Robinson Street, now the line of Park Place.
Rhinelanders Dock (2). (L18) Between Harrison and Jay Streets.
Rhinelanders Dock (3) And Saw Mill. (E19) At the foot of North Moore Street.
Rhinelander's Lane. (E19) Ran from Second Avenue, between 86th and 87th Streets to the south side of 90th Street between First and York Avenues.
Rhinelander's Row. (E-M19) A row of 11 houses on Seventh Avenue between 12th and 13th Streets.
Rhinelanders Wharf. (n.d.) West side of Washington Street from Barclay to Murray Streets.
Rhynders or Rinders Street. Now part of Centre Street. See Rynder(s) Street and also Ryndert(s) Street.
Rhynderts or Rinderts Street. Now part of Mulberry Street. See Ryndert(s) and also Rynder(s) Street.
Rich Street. (E19) Listed in the 1812 Elliott’s directory (p lxxi). Probably a misspelling of Ridge Street.
Rider Street, Ridder Street. Old forms of Ryders Alley.
Ridge Road. (L19) Original name of Washington Ridge Road, laid out in 1873 and now Fort Washington Avenue.
Riker's Lane (1). (L18-M19) A road running from the Eastern Post Road at 76th Street to the East River between 74th and 75th Streets.
Riker's Lane (2). (M19) Ran from a point about 200 feet east of Eleventh Avenue, between 52nd and 53rd Streets west to a point on 53rd Street about 100 feet east of Twelfth Avenue.
Riley's Wharf. (L18) On the East River between Pike and Market Streets.
Ritter's Wharf (1). (E19) On the Hudson River at the foot of Charlton Street.
Ritter's Wharf (2). On the Hudson River at the foot of Park Place.
River Street. (L19) An exterior street laid out in 1867 in anticipation of additional landfill around the upper end of Manhattan. Nearly all under water at that time, it began from 155th Street on the Hudson River, looped around the north side of Marble Hill, and ran south to 155th Street on the Harlem River. River Street was entirely demapped by about 1900, mainly because it conflicted with the construction of the Harlem River Ship Canal, begun in 1887. The present Harlem River Drive follows part of River Street's route along the Harlem River.
Riverside Avenue or Boulevard. (L19) Early terms for Riverside Drive.
Riverside Terrace. (E-M20) A local street, built on an embankment overlooking Riverside Drive from 177th to 181st Street. It was obliterated by the connecting ramps to the George Washington Bridge.
Rivington Place. (M-L19) At the rear of 316 Rivington Street between Lewis and Goerck Streets.
Rivington Street. See Delancey Farm Grid.
Robert Street. (E19) The first street north of Art Street in the projected extension of the Bayard West Farm Grid, shown on the 1803 Mangin-Goerck Plan.
Robinson Street (1). (M18-E19) Until 1813, the name of what is now Park Place. See also Lower Robinson Street.
Robinson Street (2). (M-L18) From 1739, the name of the present Rector Street. It was changed to Auchmuty Street in 1774 and called Rector Street by 1791.
Rodman's Slip. (E-M18) An early name of Burling Slip.
Romaine and Board's Wharf. (E19) West of Greenwich Street between Franklin and North Moore Streets.
Romaine Street. (E19) A street one block north of and parallel to North Street in the expanded Delancey Farm Grid shown on the Mangin-Goerck Plan. It was discontinued by the 1811 Commissioners’ Plan. Post errs in saying it was one block north of Stuyvesant Street.
Romaine's Wharf. (L18) On the East River at the foot of Montgomery Street.
Roosevelt Street. (M18-M20) A street formerly running from Park Row to the East River, parallel to and one block west of James Street Part of it was demapped about 1947 for the Alfred E Smith Houses and the balance in the 1950s for the Chatham Green apartments.
Roosevelt's Lane. (E-M18) Ran from the Harlem Bridge Road at the present Lexington Avenue and 116th Street generally southeast to the north bank of Harlem Creek at First Avenue and 108th Street.
Roosevelt's Slip. (n.d.) A former name of Peck Slip.
Roosevelt's Wharf. (E-M18) On the east side of Peck Slip. Built prior to 1730.
Rose Hill Lane. (L18-E19) The same as Love Lane or Abingdon Road.
Rose Hill Street. (E19) Ran from about the present northwest corner of 21st Street and Park Avenue South to the Eastern Post Road at what is now the east edge of Madison Square Park opposite 25th Street.
Rose Street. (part) Changed from Prince Street (2) in 1794, it formerly ran from Frankfort to Pearl Streets. All that remains is a short link under the approach to the Brooklyn Bridge. The rest was demapped in the mid-20th Century for Police Plaza and the connecting ramps on the north side of the bridge. See also George Street (5).
Rose's Wharf. (L18-E19) Between Peck Slip and Dover Street.
Roslyn Place. (M-L19) Greene Street between West 3rd and West 4th Streets.
Rotten Row. (M-L18) In the 1750s and ï¿½60s, a name for Hunterï¿½s Key, now the part of Water Street between Old Slip and Wall Street. This name was borrowed from a fashionable road in London. It is a corruption (no pun intended) of the French Route du Roi.
Rotterdam Street. (L18-E19) In the Stuyvesant Farm Grid, the sixth street south of and parallel to Stuyvesant Street.
Rough or Ruff Street. (L18-E19) Now the east end of Henry Street.
Roy Road. See Fitzroy Road.
Rudder Street. According to Valentine (1855), the original name of Ryders Alley.
Russell Place. (M-L19) Now part of Greenwich Avenue between Charles and Perry Streets.
Rutgers Hill. (E-L18) A former name of Gold Street between Maiden Lane and John Street.
Rutgers Place. (M-L19) Monroe Street between Jefferson and Clinton Streets.
Rutgers Slip. (curr.) At Rutgers Street. Built prior to 1797. Filled to South Street by about 1840. The filled-in area retains the name.
Rutgers Street. In addition to the existing Rutgers Street, this was an early name of the now-demapped Oak Street. It was known as Rutgers Street by 1754 and as Oak Street by 1803. The continuation of Oak Street east of Catharine Street is the present Monroe Street. A 1789 map shows the name Rutgers Street for this part as well, but it was renamed Lombard Street by 1792.
Rutgers Wharf or Pier (1). (L18-E19) On the East River, northeast side of George Slip.
Rutgers Wharf or Pier (2). (E19?) Between Pike and Rutgers Streets.
Rutgers Wharf or Pier (3). (E19) Just east of Rutgers Slip.
Rutgers Wharf or Pier (4). (E19) Foot of Jefferson Street.
Rutherfurd Place. (M-L19) The original and correct spelling of the street on the west side of Stuvevesant Square. It was named for the family of Helena Rutherfurd Stuyvesant, wife of Peter Gerard Stuyvesant. They donated Stuyvesant Square and its flanking places to the city in 1836. Her father, John Rutherfurd, was one of the three commissioners responsible for the 1811 Commissioners' Plan.
Rynder(s), Rhynder(s) or Rinder(s) Street. (L18-E19) So named by 1797, it is now Centre Street between Canal and Broome Streets. In 1828 it was joined to Collect Street and both were renamed Centre Street. See also Ryndert(s) Street.
Ryndert(s), Rhyndert(s) or Rindert(s) Street . (M-L18) So named By 1754, it is now Mulberry Street between Bayard and Broome Streets. It became part of Mulberry Street prior to 1789. See also Rynder(s) Street above.
Find Street Name