Old Streets of New York
"O" Streets of New York
Oak Street. (E19-M20) Ran from Pearl to Catherine Streets. Demapped about 1947 for the Alfred E. Smith Houses. See also Rutgers Street and Wendel Street.
Obelisk Road or Road to the Obelisk. Alternate names for Monument Lane.
Oblique Road. (M-L17?) An early name of Marketfield Street.
Observatory Place. (E-M19) A public square laid out in the 1811 Commissioners Plan and abolished in 1865. It ran from 89th to 94th Streets between Fifth Avenue and what is now Park Avenue.
Ogden Street. (E19) The present Perry Street. It was shown as Ogden Street in 1803 and 1807, then became Henry Street, which was in turn changed to Perry Street in 1813.
Ogilvie's or Oglebie's Wharf. (E19) Foot of Grand Street.
Old Albany Basin. See Albany Basin (1).
Old Boston Road. See Boston Road, Eastern Post Road.
Old Broadway. (part) Earlier the part of the Bloomingdale Road from 125th to 133rd Streets. It was retained after the opening of the present Broadway (1868), mainly to preserve access to what was then the campus of Manhattan College. Old Broadway from 129th to 131st Streets was closed about 1958 for the Manhattanville Houses.
Old Ditch. (L17-M18?) Beaver Street between Broadway and Broad Street.
Old Dutch Church Street. (L17-M19) A name for Exchange Place between William Street and Broadway. The South Reformed Dutch Church was located there from 1693 to 1835.
Old Greenwich Lane. (L18?-E19) The same as the former Sand Hill Road west of Minetta Brook, which it crossed near the present Fifth Avenue and Waverly Place. The part between the brook and Sixth Avenue was closed in the 1825. The part west of Sixth Avenue is now Greenwich Avenue.
Old Harlem Road (1). (E-M19) A name for what had been the upper part of the Harlem Road (2), that is, the road from the fork near McGowan's Pass to Harlem Village. It may have been so called even before the opening of the Harlem Bridge Road in the early 1800s.
Old Harlem Road (2) or Old Harlem Bridge Road. (E19-M19) Post brackets both of these names with a description that includes large parts of Old Harlem Road (1) and the Harlem Bridge Road, together with a connecting link along the north side of Harlem Creek. This description, apparently somewhat later than Old Harlem Road (1), has the road beginning at 94th Street west of Madison Avenue (i.e. the north side of Observatory Place) and running northeast to Fourth Avenue at 107th Street; then northwest to 111th Street between Madison and Fifth Avenues (the connecting link); then northeast again to about Lexington Avenue between 117th and 118th Streets, then northerly to 119th Street and Lexington Avenue, then northeast to Third Avenue and 121st Street.
Old Hudson Markket. See Bear Market.
Old Kill or Old Kiln Road. See Great Kill Road.
Old Kingbridge Road. See Harlem Road (1).
Old Post Road. (E19) See Eastern Post Road.
Old Road. (E19) Ran from Fitzroy Road to the Hudson River, generally in or near the bed of today's West 30th Street. The shoreline was then midway between Tenth and Eleventh Avenues.
Old Slip. (curr.) The city's first slip, it existed by 1696 and was known as Old Slip by 1730. It was filled to South Street in 1834 but the filled in area retains the name.
Old Slip Market. (L17-L18) Old Slip at Hanover Square, 1691-ca. 1780.
Old Street. The name of Mott Street between Park Row and the former Park Street, as shown on the1763 "Maerschalkin" Plan reproduced in Valentine's Manual for 1850.
Old Swago Market. See Oswego Market (2).
Old Windmill Lane. See Windmill Lane.
Oliver Slip. (E19) At the foot of Oliver Street (1).
Oliver Street (1). (part) The existing Oliver Street formerly ran from Chatham Square to South Street. The part south of Madison Street was closed about 1947 for the Alfred E. Smith Houses.
Oliver Street (2). (L18-E19) The former name of Spring Street between the Bowery and Broadway.
Olwers Street. A misspelling of Oliver Street (1). So shown on 1763 "Maerschalkin" Plan.
Orange Street (1) . (M18-M19) A street parallel to and one block west of Mulberry Street. Orange Street was so named by 1754. At its greatest extent, in the early 19th Century, it ran from Park Row northwest and north to a dead end between Prince and Houston Streets. The block of Orange Street between Grand and Broome Streets was realigned in 1838 and in 1839 was renamed Centre Market Place. Orange Street north of Broome Street was renamed Marion Street in 1839. Orange Street from Park Row to Grand Street was renamed Baxter Street in 1854. See also Mary Street (1).
Orange Street (2) . (M18) According to Post, a former name of Cliff Street. This is consistent with its mention in Stokes in connection with a building that blocks access to St. George's Chapel, which was nearby on Beekman Street.
Orchard Lane. (L18?-E19) A narrower northerly continuation of Orchard Street that ended at about the west line of First Avenue between 6th and 7th Streets. It may earlier have continued as far north as 12th Street. See also Harlem Avenue (2).
Orchard Street. (L18-E19) In addition the existing Orchard Street, this was a former name of Broome Street from Broadway west to about Sullivan Street.
Oriental Park. (E20) The triangle bounded by, Grand Street, East Broadway and Scammel Street, earlier known as Grand Street Place. It was renamed Ahearn Park in 1923.
Ortley's Wharf. (E19) On the East River at the foot of Stuyvesant Street, on the line of the present East 15th Street.
Oswego Landing. (M18) On the Hudson River at the foot of Liberty Street.
Oswego Market (1). (M-L18) A public market, originally called the Broadway Market, built in 1738 in the center of Broadway opposite Crown Street. In the 1750s it came to be known as the Oswego Market after Fort Oswego, a military and trading post that was fiercely defended in the French and Indian War. In 1771 the market was shut down as an obstacle to traffic and replaced by a market in Maiden Lane. See Oswego Market (2) and Oswego Market (3) below.
Oswego Market (2). (L18-E19) The second Oswego Market (1772-1811) was in Maiden Lane between Broadway and Liberty Place.
Oswego Market (3). (L18) According to De Voe, the Hudson Market or Bear Market was also sometimes referred to as the Oswego Market. This was probably about 1772, when there may have been some confusion as to which of two new markets was the successor to the demolished first Oswego Market.
Oswego Street (1). (M-L18) An alternate name for Crown Street, the present Liberty Street. See Oswego Market (1).
Oswego Street (2). (L18-E19) An alternate name for Maiden Lane between Broadway and Liberty Place. See Oswego Market (2).
Otters Alley. (E19) Ran from Thompson to Sullivan Streets between Grand and Broome Streets.
Oyster Pasty Lane, Alley or Street. (L17-L18) Former names of Exchange Alley.
Find Street Name
© 2005 by Gilbert Tauber